If you’re looking to use and expand your sustainability, climate change and decarbonization skills while contributing to a dynamic global professional services firm – Geosyntec is the place for you! As a Decarbonization Consultant, you'll be working as part of Geosyntec’s visible, dedicated Energy Transition team to design and deliver a range of climate-related projects for our high-profile clients. You will also get the chance to collaborate with our experts nationally and globally in energy and sustainability. This role would suit candidates who want to work on real-world climate risk, climate strategy and decarbonization solutions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Is this the right position to help you achieve your professional goals? Some of the key responsibilities for the position include:
- Support the delivery of projects focused on energy transition, decarbonization, net-zero and science-based targets, energy, and carbon reporting, and analytics;
- Support decarbonization pathway analyses including developing carbon abatement curves and life cycle analysis modeling for client projects and operations;
- Assist with the development and implementation of decarbonization related tools;
- Prepare air emissions inventories and emissions calculations (mostly MS Excel-based) including quantification of criteria and toxic air pollutants and scope 1 2, and 3 greenhouse gas emissions;
- Prepare regulatory analysis related to federal and state air and greenhouse gas regulations; review and monitor new policy pending legislation;
- Prepare air quality permit applications under NSR, PSD, Title V, and state-level regulations;
- Provide project support related to environmental permitting and compliance services, such as those driven by the Clean Air Act, Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act, and National Environmental Policy Act; and
- Develop proposals, manage projects and deliver work products on time and within budget;
Collaboration and mentoring are cornerstones of Geosyntec’s culture. You should expect to work closely with experienced professionals who will help integrate you into Geosyntec’s culture and who can help accelerate your technical growth.
Here are some other things you should know about our typical practitioner position:
- Training: This position requires OSHA health and safety, first aid, CPR training, and medical monitoring, paid for by the firm. Inclusion, Equity, and Diversity Training is required for all staff. We also offer professional development opportunities including in-house seminars, webinars, and mentoring, that allow our professionals to build the technical and business skills necessary to become successful consultants.
- Fieldwork: Up to 20%
- Overnight travel: Up to 20% (While travel is a requirement of the role, due to COVID-19, non-essential travel has been suspended until further notice)
Your success is our success. We encourage our professionals to continually develop their interests and skills. Advancement is based on an individual’s own performance and initiative.
EDUCATION AND LICENSURE
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental or chemical engineering or related scientific discipline. (required)
- Advanced degree in environmental or chemical engineering or related scientific discipline. (preferred)
- Professional Engineer or Engineer in Training (EIT) certification, if applicable.
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE, AND QUALIFICATIONS
- At least 5 years of experience providing carbon and sustainability services OR subject matter expertise, such as in decarbonization, carbon accounting, or energy transition, or equivalent combination of education and experience. (required)
- Experience with GHG accounting including Scope 1, 2 and 3 calculations, and science aligned target setting. (required)
- Excellent data handling skills and advanced knowledge of Excel. (required)
- Ability to work independently on multiple assignments and projects, even in a virtual environment. (required)
- Familiarity with Environmental Social Governance (ESG)-related standards and frameworks including the GHG Protocol, SASB, GRI, and TCFD. (preferred)
- Understanding of the climate change policy and regulatory landscape as well as wider ESG reporting and disclosure landscape. (preferred)
- Experience in climate risk assessment, particularly quantitative approaches to measuring risk and scenario analysis AND/OR technical knowledge of net-zero and decarbonization planning. (preferred)
- Excellent data analysis and visualization skills, comfortable working with large datasets, both in Excel and beyond. Experience using Tableau, ArcGIS, or Microsoft Power BI. (preferred)
- Valid U.S. driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record for business travel. (required)
Geosyntec strives to hire and retain the best and brightest people in their fields. We look for hard-working individuals with exceptional interpersonal skills, communication skills, and problem-solving abilities, plus the passion for technical excellence and quality. We seek individuals with leadership potential, a commitment to lifelong learning and growth, and the desire to build a long and rewarding career with a growing Firm.
Geosyntec is a great place to build a career. If you're looking for an exciting place to work, a place with challenging and rewarding projects, and a place that has been nationally recognized for its employees' quality of life, technical expertise, and business success, then Geosyntec may be the place for you. You can learn more about careers and employment at Geosyntec by visiting http://www.geosyntec.com/careers/
We are proud to offer our employees a highly competitive benefits package. Learn more by visiting http://www.geosyntec.com/careers/employee-benefits