If you’re looking for a place to advance your career, where you can contribute to a dynamic and innovative firm, tackle demanding project work, and collaborate with industry-recognized professionals - Geosyntec is the place for you! As the Hydraulics Practice Lead for our growing Dams and Levees practice, you will serve in a key leadership role and build out our hydraulic engineering capabilities, leveraging existing staff resources and collaborating with other senior dam practitioners across the firm. You will have the opportunity to establish national dams and levees-focused hydraulic engineering group that works on complex projects involving hydraulic structures and other flood risk management infrastructure. Projects span hydraulic modeling of various complexities, spillway, and other hydraulic structure evaluation and design, supporting probabilistic risk analysis, hydraulic and hydrologic modeling for large riverine systems, flood modeling, and dam breach consequence assessment studies. This position can work out of any Geosyntec office location, with a remote hybrid work option.
Our clients ask us to address their new ventures and most challenging problems involving the environment, natural resources, and civil infrastructure. Ranked by ENR in the top 20 design firms for the environment, Geosyntec is internationally known for its technical leadership, broad experience, and exceptional client service. Learn more by visiting www.geosyntec.com
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Collaboration and mentoring are cornerstones of Geosyntec’s culture. You should expect to work closely with experienced professionals who will help integrate you into Geosyntec’s culture as you advance to this next stage of your career of leading and growing a practice. We operate under a sell-manage-do culture, and so we expect that you’d work on challenging technical projects while leveraging your existing knowledge and experience to help Geosyntec expand its current practices and capabilities through business development and client management.
Some of the key responsibilities for this position include:
- Provide technical leadership and guidance directed at growing a hydraulic engineering practice within Geosyntec’s Dams and Levees high-growth area business line.
- Pulling together resources from our existing network of hydraulic and hydrologic engineers to support dam and levee projects across the country, and fostering their professional growth while also recruiting additional technical team members.
- Past experience with hydraulic analysis and modeling (1-D and 2-D, and 3-D) utilizing various hydraulic modeling software. Ability to scope, lead, and serve as a technical advisor on modeling projects.
- Rehabilitation and design of existing/new spillways, outlet works, and other appurtenant dam hydraulic structures.
- Flood hazard assessment and dam breach modeling for inundation mapping and support of direct and indirect economic consequence estimation. Familiarity with HEC-FIA and HEC-LifeSim software is a plus;
- Serving as H&H Subject Matter Expert on probabilistic risk assessment and risk evaluation teams;
- Serving as H&H Subject Matter Expert and providing a senior review for Independent Technical Review Boards on dam safety modification studies and design projects;
- Inspections of existing hydraulic structures and dam safety review of previous analyses and studies against the current state of the practice and design criteria.
- Interacting with client representatives;
- Task and project-level responsibility for scoping, performing, managing, and delivering multiple concurrent project assignments;
- Consistent with our sell-manage-do business model, play a role in lead generation, business development, staff development, and mentoring;
- Help broaden our reputation and visibility via publishing and presenting at prominent industry conferences such as USSD, ASDSO, CEATI, and NHA;
- Task and project management, including planning and directing staff, budgeting and budget management, adherence to schedule, quality, client satisfaction, and profitability;
- Recruiting, supervising, and mentoring junior staff; and
- Preparing technical reports, letters, memoranda, plans, specifications, and proposals.
Here are some other things you should know about this position:
- Training: We also offer professional development opportunities including technical conferences, in-house seminars, webinars, and mentoring, that allow our professionals to build the technical and business skills necessary to become successful consultants.
- Fieldwork: Up to 5%
- Overnight travel: Up to 20%
EDUCATION AND LICENSURE
- Bachelor's degree in water resources or environmental engineering or a closely related field with emphasis on water resources or a closely related discipline. (required)
- Advanced degrees of the same. (preferred)
- Professional registration (i.e., P.E.) (required)
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE, AND QUALIFICATIONS
- At least 10 years (15+ preferred) of direct engineering consulting experience working on water resource projects with a focus on dams and levees; or an equivalent combination of education and experience working on the types of projects described above. (required)
- Experience with multi-disciplinary project teams. (required)
- Experience with project management and business development (required)
- Excellent leadership and detail orientation skills. (required)
- Experience performing hydrologic studies for dams and specific experience performing probabilistic flood hazard analyses. (preferred)
- Experience with modeling tools such as platforms like HEC-RAS (1-D and 2-D), CFD (3-D) models, or similar. HEC-LifeSim, HEC-FIA, DAMRAE or similar. (preferred)
- Exceptional social skills and outstanding oral and written communication skills. (required)
- Ability and willingness to perform fieldwork and travel for site visits, inspections, and other business-related meetings or conferences. (required)
- Valid U.S. driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record for business travel. (required).
Geosyntec strives to hire and retain the best and brightest people in their fields. We look for exceptional interpersonal skills, communication skills, and problem-solving abilities, plus a passion for technical excellence and quality. We seek individuals with leadership potential, a commitment to lifelong learning and growth, and the desire to build a long and rewarding career with a growing Firm.
Geosyntec is a great place to build a career. If you're looking for an exciting place to work, a place with challenging and rewarding projects, and a place that has been nationally recognized for its employees' quality of life, technical expertise, and business success, then Geosyntec may be the place for you. You can learn more about careers and employment at Geosyntec by visiting http://www.geosyntec.com/careers/
We are proud to offer our employees a highly competitive benefits package. Learn more by visiting http://www.geosyntec.com/careers/employee-benefits